• in where they live
• without family
• without friends
• without specific financial support
• without emotional support
• in how they believe spiritually
• in the type of work they do or not do
• in areas of health; having to fend for themselves; get to the doctor, etc.
• in making decisions
• in taking care of their home, car, etc.
You see while singleness is often described as those that are not married, widowed, divorced, young adult, single again, etc. However, it can also be married adults that have been abandoned by their spouse whether its physically, emotionally and/or spiritually (Single on Sunday) or by distance due to family obligations, work, military, etc. Now this does not mean they are single in the sense of dating or available to date but it does mean they are alone, and to a point on their own. Likewise, you could be single in your marital status but live with someone (sexual relationship or not) who is your friend or family. And by living with others, some of the "on your own" items wouldn't apply.
So upon hearing this phrase, I decided to start calling anyone on their own an OYO. The reason for this was to help us understand the need to reach anyone who has no one, who lacks support, who is on their own in various ways. God designed most of us for marriage, for community and to belong. While not all of us will marry, we can all belong. And this belonging helps us deal with being on our own. For when we have the Lord, we are never truly on our own.
Here are few verses to mediate on in regards to being alone:
1. Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying This is the way; walk in it. Isaiah 30:21
2. For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare, and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
3. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
4. For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world- our faith. 1 John 5:4
5. God is with you wherever you may go and no matter what life brings. Joshua 1:9
6. She is clothed in strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. Proverbs 31:25
7. "I loved you at your darkest." Romans 5:8
8. "Under His wings you will find refuge." Psalm 91:
9. "By the grace of God, I am what I am."1 Corinthians 15:10
10. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not onto your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your path." Proverbs 3:5-6
11. "You are beautiful for you are fearfully and wonderfully made."Psalm 139:14
12. "Be strong. Be brave. Be fearless. You are never alone."Joshua 1:9
13. "Mightier than the waves of the sea is His love for you." Psalm 93:4
14. "Perhaps this is the moment for which you've been created."Esther 4:14
15. "I am complete in Him." Colossians 2:10
16. "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love." Psalm 143:8
17. "You are loved more than you will ever know by someone who died to know you."
18. "The Lord will fight for you, you need only to be still."Exodus 14:14
19. "I will never leave you or forsake you."Joshua 1:5
20. "You are altogether beautiful my darling, beautiful in every way."Song of Songs 4:7
21. "Whenever you feel unloved, unimportant, or insecure, remember to whom you belong." Ephesian 2:19-22
Verses taken from this list: https://www.theodysseyonline.com/secret-hidden-wisdom-god
For more information, to bring Kris to your city, call 919.434.3611 or email@example.com